Investment and Economic Development Unit
The Investment and Economic Development Unit (I&ED) is here to help initiate and deliver business support programs, which respond to the needs of local and prospective businesses. This includes:
- A comprehensive range of workshops, seminars and business events. Check out what is coming up.
- Free business mentoring through the Small Business Mentoring Service.
- Latest business news and updates. Register to receive our e-news, and follow us on Facebook.
- Free access to local and regional economic data. View the City of Whitehorse Economic Profile.
- Managing the Whitehorse Investment and Development Facilitation Service, which assists investors to navigate local government's rules, regulations and processes.
This unit is responsible for ensuring that development in the municipality complies with relevant planning legislation. It is responsible matters including land use, development applications, parking needs, operating hours, outdoor advertising, number of occupants, liquor licences, external works, and alterations. Visit Whitehorse City Council’s website to learn more.
This unit advises on planning policies or whether there are any proposed changes to the Planning Scheme that may affect your business. Visit Whitehorse City Council’s website to learn more.
This unit is responsible for the assessment and determination of building applications and conducting building inspections. It monitors standards with alterations, demolitions, new building works or extensions to ensure building meet fire, safety and structural standards. Visit Whitehorse City Council’s website to learn more.
This unit controls the registration of health-related businesses (including but not limited to, food businesses, beauty and body art) to ensure that all health requirements and accreditation standards are met. Visit Whitehorse City Council’s website to learn more.
This unit regulates and issues permits relating to outdoor trading, product displays and A-frame footpath signage. Community Laws also assist in regulating car parking across the City of Whitehorse. Visit Whitehorse City Council’s website to learn more.
Whitehorse City Council encourages all businesses to work towards becoming more environmentally sustainable as well as financially sustainable. Whitehorse City Council’s Sustainability Department can assist in reducing your carbon footprint in all facets of sustainability including water, energy, waste minimisation and transport. Visit Whitehorse City Council’s website to learn more.