Permits and Licences

It is important to ensure your business is run in a manner that is safe and legally compliant. Business owners are encouraged to:

  • Ask Whitehorse City Council if any permits / licences are required.
  • Discuss plans with Whitehorse City Council Officers prior to lodging a permit application.
  • Provide Whitehorse City Council with necessary documents and information supporting the application. 

The Australian Business Licence and Information Service website can assist to identify relevant state, territory, local and Australian government licences, permits, approvals, regulations and codes of practice for your business. You can also explore which business permits or licences may be required for Whitehorse. 

The information below outlines the various Whitehorse City Council Units that are responsible for licences/regulations and approvals for businesses. 

Statutory Planning 

This unit is responsible for ensuring that development in the municipality complies with relevant planning legislation. It is responsible matters including land use, development applications, parking needs, operating hours, outdoor advertising, number of occupants, external works and alterations.  Find out more information about the permit process.

Liquor and Gambling Licences

There are a number of requirements that you must comply with if you intend to sell or serve liquor or supply gambling from your premises. Further information can be found on the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation’s website

Strategic Planning

This unit advises on planning policies or whether there are any proposed changes to the Planning Scheme that may affect your business. 


This unit is responsible for the assessment and determination of building applications and conducting building inspections. It also advises on the building regulations and permit requirements in relation to change of use (including shop fit outs).

It monitors standards with alterations, demolitions, new building works or extensions to ensure building meet fire, safety and structural standards. Find out more information about the permit process.

Environmental Health 

This unit controls the registration of health-related businesses (including but not limited to, food businesses, beauty and body art) to ensure that all health requirements and accreditation standards are met. Information regarding the permit process is available for food businesses and businesses involving beauty and body art

Community Laws

This unit regulates and issues footpath trading permits which involve using the footpath for commercial activities, including the sale of goods and products, outdoor dining and displaying signs and other items (including A-frame footpath signage). Community Laws also assist in regulating car parking across the City of Whitehorse. 

Working from home

Planning controls have been introduced to make operating a business from home easier. Visit the Working From Home page for more information. 

For more information visit Whitehorse City Council's website 

SubscribeSubscribe to our newsletter

Business Guide

A practical guide for businesses within the City of Whitehorse

Your feedback is appreciated

Did you find the information on this page useful?
Select the checkbox to confirm this is a valid submission.

Aboriginal flagTSI flagWhitehorse City Council acknowledges the Wurundjeri Woi-wurrung people of the Kulin Nation as the Traditional Owners of the land. We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.